Pregnancy is an incredible gift. And, it’s our job as moms to ensure that our babies are getting the healthy nutrients they need. It’s also important to keep them protected by avoiding certain foods that are not considered safe during pregnancy. We’ve compiled a list of off-limits-foods for you:
- Alcohol. Currently, there is no known safe amount of alcohol during pregnancy. Therefore, it’s recommended that you avoid it all together.
- Raw meat. This includes seafood and shellfish, and undercook beef and poultry. So, sorry ladies, no medium-rare steaks or sushi for nine months.
- Deli meat. Deli meats have been known to contain listeria, which can cause miscarriage. While the risk is very low, it’s just safe to stay away from it for now.
- Fish with mercury. These include swordfish, shark, mackerel and tile fish.
- Smoked fish. Again, these can be contaminated with listeria, so it’s best to avoid smoked fish.
- Raw eggs. Raw eggs or any foods that contain raw eggs should be avoided because of the potential exposure to salmonella.
- Soft cheeses. You’ll need to steer clear of brie, camembert, roquefort, feta, gorgonzola and mexican style cheeses that include queso blanco and queso fresco, unless they clearly state that they are made from pasteurized milk. All soft non-imported cheeses made with pasteurized milk are safe to eat.
- Caffeine. As a general rule, caffeine should be limited to fewer than 200 mg per day during pregnancy.
As a final note, be sure to wash all fruits and veggies before consuming them. We hope this helps and that you don’t crave any of these yummy foods until after baby arrives.
Learn more about BabyPlus at babyplus.com.
• Facebook • Twitter • Delicious • LinkedIn • StumbleUpon • Add to favorites • Email • RSSThe post Foods to Skip During Pregnancy appeared first on blog.babyplus.com.